Friday, August 08, 2008

2008 Olympics


This is a tray of Chinese candy given to us by some friends of ours. I'm hoping my friends that have been immersed in Chinese culture can give me a heads up as to what any of this is. We may or may not eat it in honor of the Olympics being held in China. I, Maria, am a huge Olympics fan. Jeff, not so much, but he humors me. I know, it may be lame to admit this obsession with the Olympics, but at least it gives us something to watch as we drag through the NFL preseason and wait and wait and wait for college football to finally start. I think both my parents helped to instill this interest in the games as we watched them together as a family when I was a child. Of course, always cheering against the Russians and any other communist bloc country that we were competing against-Cold War anyone? Anyway, my Dad's love of sports combined with my Mom's fierce loyalty and love for this country made the two weeks of Olympic competition very important in our home. I'm hoping to pass that love of sport and love of country on to Kate. So, yes, Jeff will be forced to watch the opening ceremonies with me tonight and probably even some of the gymnastics competition later on, but we'll be doing it as a family. Hopefully it will become a sweet memory for Kate (and Jeff) as it has been for me.

2 comments:

Stephen and Kelly said...

I love you, girl. You know I do. But...IT'S TIME TO UPDATE THE BLOG! I know you've got some super cute pictures of Kate that your holding back on!

Anonymous said...

The Olympics were over 2 months ago. Please show us more Kate.

Meghan & D-Money